As I prepare this week’s issue of Cargo Facts Update (to which you should subscribe if you haven’t already – go to http://cargofacts1.wpengine.com/newsletter/subscriptions.htm) I see one positive development after another. Here are a few examples:
- The major freighter conversion houses not only booking orders, but they are also starting new programs
- Atlas Air Worldwide holdings, which operates the largest 747 freighter fleet in the world, reported an exceptionally strong first quarter, and says it expects continued strong performance for the full year.
- Last week UPS reported great first-quarter results, and this week TNT followed suit, saying it had seen strong growth in Express volumes.
- DHL Global Forwarding, the world’s largest forwarder, says airfreight demand is back to pre-crisis levels.
- Lufthansa Cargo reported an operating profit in the first quarter, after losses last year, and said it foresees an operating profit for the full year, as well.
- Hactl, the main cargo handler at Hong Kong International Airport reported its April handle up 42% over April 2009, an even stronger performance than the 38% increase it reported for the first quarter.
It’s a pleasure to finally be finally be able to report positive developments in our industry, but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the recovery. Just hit the comment button (below) and join the conversation.
Leave a Reply