Avdome Aviation Inc. located in Georgia, USA have come up with a new concept of ULD’s (Unit Load Device). As it is a new concept and has the capability of revolutionizing the air freight services, the company is looking for airliners/pooling/leasing companies in different regions of our world to replace their existing ULD with their light weight, fully collapsible ones. Supported by the Korean government and now are in the process of tie-up with a USA based cargo company,Avdome is for ULD leasing and pooling companies/Airlines and cargo services to phase out the traditional ULD replacing with these new containers.
For now I would like to give you some salient features of these containers as follows…
- Collapsible: Full knock-down kit(FKD)
(a) Can be collapsed completely within a minute by hand jack or electrical jack.
(b) Can be easily stored and stacked in limited space thus increasing storage capacity
(c) Expanding also within 2-3 minutes
- Reduces Imbalance: The empty ULD’s can be shipped back to destination as it takes less space in aircraft deck.
As an estimate the new concept ULD’s will have a return ratio of 7.5:1 when fully collapsed. 126 fully collapsed containers can be transported by 40’ high cube container by ocean transportation. Thus it not only helps in minimizing the imbalance but also helps with storage of additional ULD’s for use during the peak season
- Light Weight: Will weigh 38% less than the traditional ULD’s as it is made up of honeycomb structured Fiber reinforced plastic and aluminum composite panel. Weight reduction 11 to 50 kg.
Fuel savings potential with lightweight ULDs AKE
• Weight of aluminum container 82 to 114 kg
• Weight of lightweight container 64 to 71 kg
• Weight reduction per container 11 to 50 kg
Assumption for average saving 11 Kg each container;
• Average Number of ULDs per flight 20
• Average flight hours (per annum) 4,380
• Reduced fuel weight (per kg) 4%
• Reduced fuel weight (per aircraft per annum) 38,554
• One Aircraft Reduced fuel weight (kg per annum) 38,554
• Fuel cost per kg ($, IATA Fuel Monitor Feb ‘12) $1.1028
• Total fuel savings potential ($ per annum) $42,506
• Equivalent cost savings of $2,125 per ULD per annum if 11 Kg reduced.
• $4,250 savings per ULD per annum if 22 kg reduced
• $6,475 savings per ULD per annum if 33 kg reduced
• $8,500 savings per ULD per annum if 44 kg reduced
• plus Carbon Tax Deduction
- Low Operating cost: These are nearly maintenance free and any part damaged can be easily replaced locally.
- Fuel Saving: The reduced weight of the containers will lead to saving of fuel by the carrier ( as explained above).
- Available in all types i.e. frozen, cooling and others.
- RFID Controller: records destination, item description, weight and volume of packages, baggage tag data, contents of package etc. that significantly saves time required to load an aircraft and ensures that space is fully utilized. It features RFID Reader/writer, a GPRS modem, store package information, automatic calculation of total weight of container, records inside temperature, and location by GPS sensor, altitude, aircraft speed, smoke detector and high temperature sensor etc. In case of a crash a recorder acts as Black box and has an optional battery pack.
Avdome has also come out with their FKD Kits(Full Knock Down). Companies interested in setting up their own assembling unit doesn’t need to invest much. These are very easily assembled by hand with simple tools.
Avdome’s air cargo containers are of highest quality to withstand the challenges of day to day operations. The Full knock down quality of these containers facilitates quick and easy replacement of individual parts.
Like This Post